In the last few years, optical coating technologies have made significant progress which allows depositing hundreds of layers with perfect control, hence emphasizing a generation of complex optical filters with ultimate performances. Such balance now requires to upgrade the metrological tools for accurate characterization of absorption and scattering, stress and birefringence…
Within this context, the Scattering Group of Institut FRESNEL designed and developed a Spectral and Angular Light Scattering characterization Apparatus (SALSA). Thanks to the use of a SuperK EXTREME supercontinuum laser, for the first time to our knowledge, SALSA measured within the spectral range (400 nm – 1650 nm) and with a 1 nm resolution the spectral transmission of filters down to 10-12 levels (equivalent to 12 Optical Density) in the rejection band whereas the state of the art was limited to OD 6 for such a wide range of analysis. This paves the way for a new generation of spectrophotometric tools.
With a tunable and accurate spectral filtering of the supercontinuum laser, SALSA allows the measurement of angularly and spectrally resolved scattering patterns in the same 400 nm -1650 nm range. Detection limit for BRDF and BTDF is the air diffraction level on the whole range of analysis and measurement accuracy is guaranteed to be better than 1%, which is the ultimate level of worldwide scattering metrology.
|“This work has been realized thanks to the support of the French National Direction of Armament (Direction Générale de l’Armement) and the French National Space Center (CNES)”|
- “Wide-range wavelength and angle resolved light scattering measurement setup“, Marin Fouchier, Myriam Zerrad, Michel Lequime, and Claude Amra, Optics Letters Letter, Vol. 45, No. 9 (2020).
- “Breakthrough spectrophotometric instrument for the ultra-fine characterization of the spectral transmittance of thin-film optical filters“, Michel Lequime, Myriam Zerrad, and Claude Amra, Opt. Express 26, 34236-34249 (2018).
- “Broadband spectral transmittance measurements of complex thin-film filters with optical densities of up to 12”, S. Liukaityte, M. Lequime, M. Zerrad, T. Begou, and Claude Amra, Opt. Lett. 40, 3225-3228 (2015).
- “Ultra-wide-range measurements of thin-film filter optical density over the visible and near-infrared spectrum”, M. Lequime, S. Liukaityte, M. Zerrad, and C. Amra, Opt. Express 23, 26863-26878 (2015).
- “Ultra-wide dynamic range system for the spectral transmission measurement of complex optical filters”, S. Liukaityte, M. Lequime, M. Zerrad, T. Begou, J. Lumeau, and C. Amra, in Advances in Optical Thin Films V, M. Lequime, H. A. Macleod, D. Ristau, eds., Proc. SPIE 9627, 96271A (2015)
- “Measurements of angular and spectral resolved scattering on complex optical coatings”, S. Liukaityte, M. Zerrad, M. Lequime, T. Begou and C. Amra, in Advances in Optical Thin Films V, M. Lequime, H. A. Macleod, D. Ristau, eds., Proc. SPIE 9627, 96271B (2015)