Characterization of nanoparticles – particles between 1 and 100 nanometers in size – are often linked to the localization of light in nanosized particles or interfaces that typically show a huge field enhancement at their surfaces.
Typical examples are tiny single photonic components such as complex nano-waveguides, nano-apertures, and nano-resonators. Tight localization is of great practical importance, e.g. for high-resolution inspection, local modification of materials, high field concentration, intensity enhancement, increase of efficiency of nonlinear processes such as Raman scattering and harmonic generation.
Nanoparticles of semiconductor materials arranged in bandgaps are called quantum dots. A quantum dot (QD) is a nanocrystal made of semiconductor materials that are small enough to exhibit quantum mechanical properties. Quantum dots are used in applications like solar cells, LEDs, and contrast agents in bio-imaging.
- Ksenia A. Sergeeva, Alexander A. Sergeev, Oleg V. Minin, and Igor V. Minin: A Closer Look at Photonic Nanojets in Reflection Mode: Control of Standing Wave Modulation, published in Photonics, 2021.
- Zhaoshuai Gao, Jian‐Hua Wang, Pei Song, Bin Kang, Jing‐Juan Xu, and Hong‐Yuan Chen: Spaser Nanoparticles for Ultranarrow Bandwidth STED Super‐Resolution Imaging, published in Advanced Materials, 2020.
- Mauricio D. Rojas-Andrade, Tuan Anh Nguyen, William P. Mistler, Juan Armas, Jia En Lu, Graham Roseman, William R. Hollingsworth, Forrest Nichols, Glenn L. Millhauser, Alexander Ayzner, Chad Saltikov, and Shaowei Chen: Antimicrobial activity of graphene oxide quantum dots: impacts of chemical reduction, published in Nanoscale Advances, 2020.
- Lei Zhang, Bihu Lv, Hongyu Yang, Ruilin Xu, Xiaoyong Wang, Min Xiao, Yiping Cui, and Jiayu Zhang: Quantum-confined stark effect in the ensemble of phase-pure CdSe/CdS quantum dots, published in Nanoscale, 2019.
- Joanna E. Moś, Joanna Korec, Karol A. Stasiewicz, Bartłomiej Jankiewicz, Bartosz Bartosewicz, and Leszek R. Jaroszewicz: Research on Optical Properties of Tapered Optical Fibers with Liquid Crystal Cladding Doped with Gold Nanoparticles, published in Crystals, 2019.
- Ming Deng, Yufan Wang, LeiGuang Liu, and Maoru Qin: Broadband laser-tuned whispering gallery mode in a micro-structured fiber embedded with iron oxide nanoparticles, published in Applied Optics 2018.
- Brenda Doherty, Matthias Thiele, Stephen Warren-Smith, Erik Schartner, Heike Ebendorff-Heidepriem, Wolfgang Fritzsche, and Markus A. Schmidt: Plasmonic nanoparticle-functionalized exposed-core fiber—an optofluidic refractive index sensing platform, published in Optics Letters, 2017.
- Nengjie Huo, Shuchi Gupta, and Gerasimos Konstantatos: MoS2–HgTe Quantum Dot Hybrid Photodetectors beyond 2 µm, published in Advanced Materials, 2017.
- Ilya Grinberg et. al. Perovskite oxides for visible-light-absorbing ferroelectric and photovoltaic materials, published in Nature 503, Letter pp. 509–512, 2013.
- Irene Ament et. al. Single Unlabeled Protein Detection on Individual Plasmonic Nanoparticles, published in Nano Letters 2012 (2), 1092-1095
- Adam Wax et al.: Optimization of immunolabeled plasmonic nanoparticles for cell surface receptor analysis, published in Methods, 2012.
- Dr. Mendach et al.: Rolled-Up Three-Dimensional Metamaterials with a Tunable Plasma Frequency in the Visible Regime, published in Physical Review Letters, 2009.
- Sandoghdar et al.: Detection and Spectroscopy of Gold Nanoparticles Using Supercontinuum White Light Confocal Microscopy, published in Physical Review Letters, 2004.
ARTICLES AND BACKGROUND INFO
- Article by S. Patskovsky, E. Bergeron, M. Meunier from the journal BioPhotonics: Hyperspectral darkfield microscopy of PEGylated gold nanoparticles targeting CD44-expressing cancer cells
- Article by N. Fairbairn, A. Christofidou, A.G. Kanaras, T.A. Newman and O.L. Muskens from the journal BioPhotonics: Hyperspectral darkﬁeld microscopy of single hollow gold nanoparticles for biomedical applications
- Article by S. Patskovsky, E. Bergeron, D. Rioux, and M. Meunier from the journal BioPhotonics: Wide-field hyperspectral 3D imaging of functionalized gold nanoparticles targeting cancer cells by reflected light microscopy
- Article by Mark L. Brongersma from the Nature Materials: Optical Fano resonance of an individual semiconductor nanostructure
- Article by Mark L. Brongersma from Nano Letters: Hot-Electron Photodetection with a Plasmonic Nanostripe Antenna