The Koheras BASIK single frequency fiber lasers are the absolute pinnacle of industrial low noise lasers featuring ultra low phase noise and Hz-range linewidth normally only found in costly scientific systems. Based on a truly single mode DFB fiber laser architecture, they offer ultra stable performance free of mode-hops.
This range of lasers offered as compact modules typically for industrial OEM integration. It is also designed as a building block for our ADJUSTIK benchtop systems and the ACOUSTIK multi-channel systems. It is supplied with CONTROL software for the control and read-out of laser parameters on a pc such as wavelength, output power, and RIN suppression.
Any interferometric use that requires high frequency stability or a long coherence length will benefit from this type of laser technology. The typical applications include seismic sensing such as oil and gas exploration and exploitation, security (perimeter and pipeline detection), and structural pipeline monitoring. Furthermore, the low intensity noise of the lasers combined with the high spectral stability make them ideal as sources for wind LIDAR systems used for the wind turbine and aerospace industry, as well as for interferometry laser vibrometry sensing systems.
- Ultra low phase noise and narrow linewidth
- Stable single frequency operation
- Industrial OEM packaging
- Designed for Multi-channel systems (ACOUSTIK) or stand-alone
- Integrated fast wavelength modulation (optional)
- PM output (optional)
|Model||Standard Wavelength||Other wavelengths||Output power||PM||Fast modulation|
|X15||1550.12 nm||1535 - 1580 nm||30* mW||Yes||Yes|
|E15||1550.12 nm||1535 - 1580 nm||40 mW||Optional||Optional|
|C15||1550.12 nm||1535 - 1580 nm||>10 mW*||Optional||Optional|
|Y10||1064.00 nm||1030 - 1120 nm||> 10 mW*||Optional||Optional|
C15: Is a Co-doped Erbium/Ytterbium fiber laser for operation in the 1535-1580 nm wavelength range offering the lowest intensity noise (RIN) and is a shot noise limited fiber laser.
X15/E15: Is an Erbium doped fiber laser for operation in the 1535-1580 nm wavelength range offering the lowest phase and frequency noise and narrowest linewidth of the entire laser portfolio. It is often deployed for interferometric sensor applications demanding 10s of kilometers of coherence length and ultra-high frequency stability.
Y10: Ytterbium doped fiber laser system for operation in the 1030-1120 nm wavelength range with narrow linewidth and low intensity noise. This laser is commonly used for laser stabilisation, atomic physics / metrology, spectroscopy, fusion energy, general replacement of conventional Nd:YAG lasers, and many other applications.
Tuning and PM Options
- PM operation: The output of the BASIK fiber laser is per default Single Mode Fiber however we always offer a PM (Polarisation Maintaing) option to ensure a fixed orientation of the polarisation. This may be required whenever the laser output needs to be externally modulated or frequency converted.
- Thermal wavelength tuning: The Koheras fiber laser systems are per default thermally tunable to enable the user to match and stabilise the laser at a certain wavelength.
- Fast wavelength tuning: This feature can be offered for applications demanding a higher wavelength stability than provided by the free running laser. It enables the laser e.g. to be locked to an external reference such as an atomic transition line or interferometer.
|Laser emission||CW - inherently single frequency|
|Beam quality [M²]||< 1.05||< 1.05||< 1.05||< 1.05|
|Linewidth [kHz] 1||< 0.1||< 0.1||< 15||< 20|
|Max phase noise
|Max phase-noise [µrad/√Hz/m]||3.1 @1Hz
|RIN peak [MHz]||app. 0.7||app. 0.7||app. 1||app. 1.5|
|RIN level @ peak / 10 MHz [dBc/Hz]||<-100 / <-135||<-100 / <-135||<-120 /
|Optical S/N (50 pm res.) [dB]||> 50 (typ. > 55)||> 50 (typ. > 55)||> 65 (typ > 70)|
|Min thermal wavelength tuning range [pm] 2||+/- 125||+/- 350||+/- 350||+/- 240|
|Total thermal tuning range [pm]||350||1000||1000||680|
|Fast wavelength modulation range [GHz]||0.6||8||8||10|
|Fast wavelength modulation [kHz]||Up to 20|
|PM output - PER [dB]||> 23|
2) Relative to center wavelength at room temperature. If the laser is operated in very cold or hot environments, this wavelength range is truncated on either the upper or lower side.
Mechanical / Electrical/Environmental
|Power supply requirements [VDC]||12|
|Power consumption [W]||Typical 4, max 12|
|Electrical interface||30 pin DIN41612 male|
|Fast modulation drive voltage||Differential 2x5V with common-mode voltage at 2.5V|
|Connectors||Standard: FC/APC pigtailed
Option: Bulkhead/pigtailed FC/APC, SC/APC, E2000/APC
|Dimensions (HxWxD) [mm]||22.5x91.2(111)x220|
|Operating temperature range [°C]
(module case temperature)
|10 - 60 (E15, C15, Y10)
15 - 60 (X15)
|Humidity non condensing [%RH]||0-70|
|All NKT Photonics products are produced under our quality management system certified in accordance with the ISO 9001:2008 standard.|